Update released on July 5th, 2020
- Better support for iOS devices
- Improved layout shift
- Performance improvements
- Fixed a layout issue on mobile phones with Arabic language selected.
Update released on June 18th, 2020
- Sound effects should now work properly in Safari browser on Apple devices.
Update released on June 14th, 2020
- Better support for high dpi devices
Basic keyboard support:
- Navigating the website with the keyboard is now supported, and keyboard focus indicators are displayed.
- Keyboard support when solving a puzzle:
- Use cursor keys, "A" to "H", "1" to "8" to move the cursor to a square.
- Use "Enter" to select a square.
- Select start and destination square to make a move.
- Select a promotion piece by pressing "1" to "4".
Update released on June 10th, 2020
- Opponent moves are now animated.
- Added sound effects for moves.
- Settings: New option for selecting the type of sound effects (select "Wood" or "Arcade"), and turning them off (select "None").
- Settings: New option for turning the animations on or off.
Update released on May 28th, 2020
- The website is now available in Croatian.
- The chess board now supports moving a piece by clicking the start and destination square, in addition to dragging the piece.
Update released on May 19th, 2020
- The website is now available in Portuguese.
- The chess diagrams visible on the homepage, player page, and lists page are now faster and support the different piece sets and board styles from the settings.
Update released on May 9th, 2020
- The website is now available in Japanese.
- Dark mode is supported and can be selected in the settings.
Update released on April 27th, 2020
- The website is now available in Arabic.
- An offer to switch languages is shown when viewing a page in a language different from the one selected in the browser.
- Added several new players to the list of famous players.
Update released on April 24th, 2020
- The website is now available in Chinese and Hindi. Use the settings menu to switch the language.
- The website is now available as a PWA (progressive web application).
You can install it on most devices.
Basic offline support:
An offline page is displayed when navigating without connection.
An error message is displayed when making a move when disconnected. The move can be retried again.
Update released on April 15th, 2020
- The website is now available in Dutch and Finnish. Use the settings menu to switch the language.
Update released on April 9th, 2020
- The website is now available in Russian. Use the settings menu to switch the language.
- Added an option to show last move arrows to the settings.
Update released on March 29th, 2020
- The website is now available in Turkish. Use the settings menu to switch the language.
- Added mouse wheel support to play through games or solution in the solution view.
- Added a volume control to the settings to allow changing the volume of the sound effects when you play a level or list.
Update released on March 17th, 2020
Improved puzzle generation algorithm by cutting trivial recaptures at the start of puzzles.
About 1000 puzzles now start with a more interesting position.
About 9000 puzzles with the "regain material" task were deleted, improving the quality of this type of puzzles.
- Fixed a bug with black castling rights in the analysis board in solution view when entering your own moves.
- Added several new players to the list of famous players.
Update released on February 28th, 2020
- The website is now available in German. Use the settings menu to switch the language.
Update released on January 20th, 2020
- Improvements to some difficult puzzles and some endgame puzzles.
Update released on January 12th, 2020
- The list of players now has images.
Update released on January 1st, 2020
- Added a settings dialog which allows to customize the puzzle solving UI.
- This includes different piece sets, boards, and the option to show or hide the task and meta data while solving puzzles.
- These settings are stored per device, so you can set different options on your PC, tablet and smart phone.
You can now play a list. Select a list on the lists page, and press the play button, to play 10 puzzles from the selected list.
If the list has more than 10 puzzles, the selection is randomized, so you can replay with different puzzles.
Update released on December 22nd, 2019
- Fixed a bug where the "Log in" menu item wasn't correctly rendered on some screens.
Update released on December 16th, 2019
- Fixed a bug where a level didn't correctly unlock after completing several levels in a row.
Update released on December 13th, 2019
- Fixed a bug where a puzzle wasn't saved correctly to a new list.
- The save button is now also available on the solution screen.
- Fixed a bug where the level indicator was shown incorrectly when solving a different puzzle while playing a level.
- Improved sound effects when playing a level.
Update released on December 11th, 2019
There are now twenty levels, where you can learn tactical motifs.
The puzzles contained in a level are selected to include only the motif being trained.
A level always consists of 10 puzzles, but you can replay a level and get different puzzles with the same motif.
You can now save a puzzle to a list by using the save button.
This feature requires registration.
There are also a number of automatic lists, where you can see all puzzles you played, all puzzles you liked, etc.
- The navigation at the top now has additional menu items for Lists, Levels, and Players.
Update released on November, 1st 2019
Fixed some bugs with reply move generation, where some weird moves were played by the opponent.
Reply move generation is also a bit more greedy than before.
In positions with a complicated mate, alternate solutions are now allowed without triggering "There is a better move".
For example, if there is a mate in 12, you are now allowed to play a mate in 15.
"There is a better move" is still shown for easy mates, for example if the position is mate in 1, and you select a mate in 2, "There is a better move" is shown.
This is to limit solution trees in puzzles where the winning player can sometimes postpone mate for many moves.
All existing puzzles were recalculated with these changes.
Update released on September, 12th, 2019
This year, usage of the site has grown a lot. Thank you!
In order to be able to keep ChessPuzzle.net available for free, there is now some advertising.
While you solve a puzzle, there are no ads. No distractions while you concentrate.
Added 50 more chess players to the list of famous players.
Updates to the filter:
- The filter has a new option to select an opening variation, to get puzzles relevant to the selected opening.
- The difficulty filter is now using a slider control, which should be more convenient than entering a number.
- There is a "reset to defaults" button.
Update released on August, 20th, 2019
- Fixed a bug where "there is a better move" was not shown correctly in some draw puzzles.
Update released on August, 16th, 2019
The filter is extended with additional motifs:
- Double attack
- Discovered check
- Discovered attack
- Trapped piece
- Attacking pinned piece
- Intermediate check
- To give easier access to the filter, and to make it more popular, there is now a filter button next to the next puzzle button.
Update released on June, 15th, 2019
In draw puzzles, if a position is repeated, a different reply move can now be selected by the opponent.
This makes some draw puzzles more challenging:
- In some endgame positions that are theoretically drawn, the opponent is now much less likely to agree to a repetition of moves.
- In some puzzles that end in perpetual check, the opponent will now try different moves to escape the perpetual.
- In positions where the player gains material, the opponent will no longer sacrifice additional material just to prolong the puzzle.
- All puzzles were recalculated with these updates.
- The filter now has additional options when checkmate is selected: Mate in 1, mate in 2, ..., mate in 5, mate in more than 5.
The filter now has a new option to select a motif. The following motifs are available in the first version of the motif filter:
Update released on April, 20th, 2019
- Puzzles that were labeled "draw or win" have now been split into two separate tasks, "regain material", and "defend".
- The filter has been extended with two new tasks:
- Winning puzzles can now be filtered further for "checkmate" and "material gain".
- Drawing puzzles can now be filtered further for "stalemate", "repetition", and "insufficient material".
- If you select a combination of filters with few or no matching puzzles, and you have solved all of them, you are returned to the filter with a warning message.
Update released on March, 10th, 2019
- Fixed a bug where some puzzles were published before they were completed.
Update released on January, 13th, 2019
Update released on January, 8th, 2019
Update released on October, 11th, 2018
- Fixed a bug with some stalemate puzzles.
Update released on October, 8th, 2018
Update released on August, 12th, 2018
- Fixed a bug where some positions were not correctly labeled with "there is a better move".
Update released on June, 16th, 2018
- In positions with a forced mate, allow alternate solutions if they are quicker. For example, capturing the Queen is now allowed as a solution in a position where the best move is a long complicated mate.
Update released on May, 5th, 2018
- Chess tournaments can now be featured on the daily puzzle.
- Fixed a bug where some puzzles without a solution were published in error.
Update released on April 13th, 2018
- Fixed a bug where "there is a better move" was shown for the best move, which made it impossible to solve some puzzles.
Update released on August 16th, 2017
- Homepage updated with dynamic lists of puzzles.
Update released on August 10th, 2017
- When promoting, you can now select the promotion piece, instead of auto-queen. Puzzles that require an under-promotion can now be solved correctly.
- Puzzles that always end with perpetual check, move repetition, stalemate, or insufficient mating material, are now labeled as "to draw", instead of "to draw or win". Puzzles that end with an equal or slightly better position are still labeled as "to draw or win" as before.
- The browser engine was upgraded to Stockfish.js 8.
- Engine evaluations are now always displayed from White's point of view.
- Engine evaulations are now displayed with an added symbol ("+-", etc.)
- The solution variation now always starts with the last move before the puzzle. This enables correctly displaying the solution variation if the puzzle is at the end of a game.
- The solution variation is now preselected. This means that if you use the replay buttons, the solution will be replayed, which is a better experience, especially on mobile.
- On mobile, the buttons and engine are now displayed before the notation, which makes the engine usable on many mobile devices without scrolling.
- Puzzles where the result depends on the 50 moves rule are no longer generated.
- Puzzles do no longer end if a winning condition is reached, but the next move is still forced.
- Fixed a bug that caused the generation of some puzzles that had no solution.
- Fixed several bugs with the generation of reply moves.
- Improved detection of reply moves that would lose material.
- Improved generation of reply moves in table base positions.
- All puzzles were recalculated to fix these issues in existing puzzles. Some puzzles are no longer available.